Professor of Solid and Structural Mechanics
Fracture mechanicsAsymptotic analyses of crack propagation have been developed in elastic and elastoplastic materials. The near-field stress/deformation fields have been solved and plastic and elastic sectors have been determined in the case of plastic materials.
We have proposed and tested with experiments new analytical models for detecting crack trajectories in brittle-elastic materials with defects.
We have provided the first asymptotic solution for steady crack propagation in an elastic-plastic fluid-saturated porous material, in which near-tip stress and pore pressure fields are determined.
Unaware of previous work by Prof. Guz and co-Workers, we have independently derived the first asymptotic solution for a crack in a prestressed elastic material.
We have provided the first analytical solution for a discrete-fibre model for bridged cracks and reinforced elliptical voids.
- D. Bigoni, Nonlinear Solid Mechanics Bifurcation Theory and Material Instability. Cambridge University Press, 2012, ISBN:9781107025417.
- D. Misseroni, A.B. Movchan and N.V. Movchan and D. Bigoni (2015).
Experimental and analytical insights on fracture trajectories in brittle materials with voids.
International Journal of Solids and Structures, 63, 219–225.
- G. Mishuris, A.B. Movchan and D. Bigoni,
Dynamics of a fault steadily propagating within a structural interface.
SIAM Journal on Multiscale Modelling and Simulation, 2012, 10(3), 936–953.
- K. Bertoldi, D. Bigoni and W.J. Drugan,
A discrete-fibers model for bridged cracks and reinforced elliptical voids.
Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 2007, 55(5), 1016-1035.
- E. Radi, D. Bigoni and D. Capuani, Effects
of pre-stress on crack-tip fields in elastic,
International Journal of Solids and Structures, 2002, 39, 3971-3996.
- E. Radi, D. Bigoni and B. Loret, Steady crack growth in elastic-plastic
fluid-saturated porous media.
International Journal of Plasticity, 2002, 18, 345-358.
- M. Valentini, S.K. Serkov, D. Bigoni and A.B. Movchan, Crack
propagation in a brittle elastic material with defects.
Journal of Applied Mechanics, 1999, 66, 79-86.
- D. Bigoni, S.K. Serkov, A.B. Movchan and M. Valentini, Asymptotic
models of dilute composites with imperfectly bonded inclusions.
International Journal of Solids and Structures, 1998, 35 (24), 3239-3258.
- D. Bigoni and E. Radi, Asymptotic solution for Mode III crack growth in
J2-elastoplasticity with mixed isotropic-kinematic strain hardening.
International Journal of Fracture, 1996, 77, 77-93.
- E. Radi and D. Bigoni, Effects of anisotropic hardening on crack
propagation in porous-ductile materials.
Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 1996, 44 (9), 1475-1508.
- E. Radi and D. Bigoni, Crack propagation in porous hardening metals
International Journal of Plasticity, 1994, 10 (7), 761-793.
- E. Radi and D. Bigoni, Asymptotic fields of mode I steady-state crack
propagation in non-associative elastoplastic solids.
Mechanics of Materials, 1993, 14, 239-251.
- D. Bigoni and E. Radi, Mode I crack propagation in elastic-plastic pressure
International Journal of Solids and Structures, 1993, 30 (7), 899-919.
Back to main page